1.22.2015

Video Break - My Choreography - Pas de Deux from Distinct Perceptions


Proud director of these four talented students from Alaska Dance Theatre
This past weekend was quite exciting for me and a few kids from Alaska Dance Theatre. After months of preparation, two of my students placed in the top 12 in the Junior and Senior Contemporary divisions at the Youth America Grand Prix semi-finals in Philadelphia. We also had our male competitor win 3rd place in the men's Contemporary division. To seal the deal, I was recognized with a special award for Outstanding Choreography. It was a very exciting weekend for all of us. Who knew that dance was alive and well in Alaska ;-)

It's been awhile since I've posted a Video Break from my writings. So, in honor of our success this past weekend and to fulfill your ever-growing curiosity about my choreography ;-), I am posting the complete pas de deux from Distinct Perceptions, a ballet that I choreographed at the National Choreographers Initiative this past summer. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. This choreography is beautiful, in particular I feel like the music symbolizes that love isn't just beautiful classical music, and I love the meld of shattering objects into the space both musically and reflected in the dance.

    Congratulations on your distinction as an Outstanding Choreographer!

    Cheers, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Maria. Some people have commented how much they dislike the music choice that I made, so I appreciate your message. I feel that the music perfectly represents the story that I was trying to portray and, after seeing Wayne McGregor's "Borderlands," I wanted to challenge myself to create to an electronic score. Thanks!

    Best, Barry

    ReplyDelete